TheWanderingShadowTheWanderingShadow

Main Art Favorites Reviews Stats

Rearmed Trials Rearmed Trials

It's been an absolute joy seeing the Armed with Wings series get sooo smooth and refined over the years. You deserve all the attention and accolades possible for such dedicated and high quality work.

PUNCH OUT: TomFulp PUNCH OUT: TomFulp

It's decently polished, but a lot of things are missing that were the factors that made Punch-Out great mainly the very distinct clarity regarding whether an opponent can be hit or not, clarity on whether you can keep attacking or not, and even the fact that blocking or dodging locks you out of other actions. Honestly though, the original Tyson fight is pretty BS as well, so it's not like you aren't being faithful. Also it's a minor gripe but not including the TKO system is a really a big oversight.

STANDBY Demo STANDBY Demo

I don't usually prefer speedrun games(mostly because I'm really bad at them) but this one really stood out to me with its evidently large amount of polish, its more accessible approach to momentum, and reduced emphasis on precision platforming. That said, I would personally like the platforming controls to be a bit more forgiving; there were many times when I jumped at what I thought was the edge of the platform only to find that I was already considered off of it, and could not jump anymore. Most platformers, especially ones that ask for precision like this, give a grace period after stepping off of a platform's edge where the player can still make a jump, and I'd like that in this game.

I was eventually able to wrap my head around the controls by the end, though I'm still not confident that I would be able to know which button to press if faced with a novel situation; something about using the same button for multiple actions makes that difficult. I'm not saying it's a bad control system-- it felt very smooth and elegant when I was doing well -- it's just that I'd perhaps like the option to bind a different key to each action. The change I definitely want is to remove shooting from idle stance entirely, as unless there's going to be a reason to do so in the final game, I see no reason I would use that ability and I would highly prefer pressing down to make me dash no matter what.

My BIGGEST gripe with the game is even a death animation as short as that is far too long for a game like this. I don't want to spend even half a second watching that death animation instead of starting the level over. It surprises me that this is an issue, because you have an excellent restart level function but inexplicably disable it during the death animation. Every successful speedrun platformer works to minimize the downtime of the player, and this just seems to stick out as a confusingly unhelpful decision in this otherwise great game. I would like to be able to reset during the death animation or have an option to skip them entirely.

My other, smaller, complaint is that the background layers constantly changing color sometimes blends in with the foreground at times. I'm not sure if that is intended or not, but that has NO reason to be a thing, especially because it hurts how clear the level design is and screws over the player. The most glaring example of this is the second double jump level, where an area that looks like a platform fades away right as you approach it, and it was hard to not think that was a dick move when it inevitably killed me the first time.

But I complain out of love. You've sold me on this idea within the short 20 minutes or so I've spent playing it. I'm very excited to see the full game!

MAKE IT as an Artist MAKE IT as an Artist

Where the heck do those paintings vanish to? I think the game would have felt more fair if completing a painting produced a bonus in money and happiness or even a choice of one or the other. If he's just hoarding the paintings for himself at least have like a pile of them in the corner.

On a more serious note, I do like the graphics and the idea. I relate to a lot of the feelings expressed in the text sometimes.

Mixed Macho Arts Mixed Macho Arts

This game would be amazing if S or down were used to control your grabs. Right now it's just a fun skilless flailing novelty, which while I'm sure is sort of the point, you can't blame me for wanting more.

Black & White Escape: House Black & White Escape: House

Clean, intuitive puzzles (except for the grandfather clock one). Good use of the whole space. Not too much personality, but a decent game overall.

SpeedPlay Soccer 4 SpeedPlay Soccer 4

Elegant, simple, and smooth. Perhaps a bit too simple, the AI has a lot of trouble in addition to a slower running speed. Would have appreciated shadows, so i could see where the ball was more accurately. Eventually ran into a bug where the screen went blank, then the game reappeared and all the players heads were missing (I am not kidding).

Perfect Block Perfect Block

Simple and sleek presentation. While I appreciate the attempt to vary the goals and game modes per level, the main mechanic inherently doesn't feel that compelling. In the end, dropping squares into holes isn't that interesting to me personally.

Round One(ZERO) Round One(ZERO)

Would be cool if you expanded and improved on this.

GridWorld GridWorld

Would like an option to just double click the arrows to add them to the queue, dragging them over every time is fiddly and unnecessary. There are keyboard shortcuts but they need better explanation; it took me a while to figure out I needed to press space to select a track even when there was only one available. It would be great to be able to go to the next level by keyboard as well. Also the children cheering is really annoying to hear repeatedly as well. The game itself is decent. Took until level 20 to get difficult; would recommend separating levels by difficulty.